Welcome to Warboys
The Clock Tower in the village of Warboys, Huntingdonshire
Wardebusc (11th century), Wardebusche (12th century), Wardeboys (13th
- 17th century) and Warboys (Modern).
Warboys, one of the largest villages in the District of
Huntingdonshire, is conveniently situated between the
Old Hurst -
Ramsey road, B1040 and the
Huntingdon - Chatteris road, A141, with a
third road linking the two to form the main village street and also
running south-east to Pidley. Yet another road runs dead straight
from the disused railway station across reclaimed fenland to the
north-east where the altitude varies between -1 and +3 feet above
sea level to form the most level area in the district. The village
of Warboys itself is mostly between 75 and 100 feet above sea level.
About the year 974, Dunstan, Archbishop of Canterbury, gave the
manor of Warboys to Ramsey Abbey, which house continued to hold it
until the Dissolution, when it passed with other Abbey property to
Sir Richard Cromwell. From this family it passed to the Lemans about
the time of the Commonwealth; later it came into the possession of
the Pelly family, and at the death of Sir Henry Pelly, it passed to
his two daughters. Near the church is the Manor House, an old brick
building, the property of Lady Balcarres, daughter of Sir Henry
Pelly, and the residence, in 1910, of George Ekins.
The Warboys parish church of
St Mary Magdalene, on the road to
Hurst, has a graceful Early English broach tower and spire. The
chancel arch is older, being Norman. Other noteworthy features
include a late 12th century knocker, a restored 13th century font, a
14tth century grave slab and a 17th century parish chest.
From the 17th century, too, are several interesting houses and an
old inn in the village of Warboys. There is also an old barn, former
Manor House and former Rectory. The old rectory garden is
particularly lovely being designed by Sir Joseph Paxton. A tall
tower in the centre of Warboys was erected by public
subscription to mark the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1897.
In monastic times there stood on a island in the fen, between
Chatteris and Warboys, a small chapel dedicated to St James, it is
now a farmhouse and a farm on the road leading to
St Ives, called
“The Wilderness,” is famous as the birthplace of Sergeant Ballantyne.
Warboys is one of the parishes of the District of
Huntingdonshire, whose administrative centre is
Huntingdon, the other principle towns being
home of the Chapel on the Bridge,
the largest town in the County of Cambridgeshire, the Roman town of
site of the former Abbey.
The box below displays a random selection from the great deals, special
offers and/or SALE items that are available from the
site members but you may follow this link to view all the
current what's HOT in the district.
Forthcoming Events in or around Warboys
Here are the next five events in the Huntingdonshire Event Diary, the local ones are coloured GOLD and
clicking the title will open links to event detail on this website whilst
following the "Out of Village' events will open in a new window on their
own website. Click 'Show Summary' for exactly what it says,
without going anywhere!
If you are organising an event anywhere if Huntingdonshire then follow this link for information
on how to add a new event and advertise your event on over 50 websites
SORRY - We do not have any events in the new diary yet!